By Rédaction Africanews The trial of former South Sudan Vice President Riek Machar began on Monday in the capital, Juba. Machar, alongside the coaccused, was presented in a cage inside the courtroom. The justice authorities said Machar faced criminal charges for his alleged role in an attack on a garrison of government troops earlier this year. Other charges include murder, conspiracy, terrorism, destruction of public property and military assets and crimes against humanity. This was the first time Machar appeared in public since he was placed under house arrest in March. The trial was televised nationally. Machars’s lawyers argued that…
Author: Montage Africa
By Rédaction Africanews and AP The Democratic Republic of Congo, the world’s top cobalt producer is lifting its export ban starting October 16th. Congo will now control global supply through strict annual export quotas, the country’s strategic minerals regulator announced Sunday. For the rest of 2025, miners will be allowed to export up to 18,125 tonnes of cobalt, a key material in electric vehicle batteries. Annual caps will rise to 96,600 tonnes for both 2026 and 2027. The ban, in place since February after cobalt prices hit a nine-year low, had triggered force majeure declarations from major producers, including mining…
● The 2025 WHX Nairobi and WHX Labs Nairobi programme will focus on advancing healthcare policy and investment, with sessions addressing sustainable financing, public–private partnerships, and innovative models to strengthen Universal Health Coverage (UHC). ● WHX Labs Nairobi will showcase cutting-edge laboratory innovation, from molecular diagnostics and antimicrobial resistance strategies to AI-augmented systems and sustainable lab management. ● Leading exhibitors including Randox, Beckman Coulter, Radiometer, and Snibe, alongside Siemens Healthineers, Roche Kenya, Dedalus, Fujifilm, and QIAGEN, will present the latest diagnostic and clinical technologies. ● Key speakers from AMREF Health Africa and WomenLift Health will share perspectives on healthcare innovation, inclusivity, and investment for…
By Rédaction Africanews According to the French press agency AFP, residents in the Tillabéri region in western Niger said that gunmen shot dead 22 people, most of which were attending a baptism. Niger’s authorities have confirmed that an attack happened, but did not release casualty numbers. 22 civilians were killed in an armed attack by a group of gunmen on motorbikes in western Niger on Wednesday, according to various reports from media and witnesses. The attackers opened fire on villagers attending a baptism ceremony, and killed 15 people there. They then left the vicinity and killed another seven civilians…
Captain Ibrahim Traoré’s rule in Burkina Faso is viewed in starkly different lights: to admirers online, he is a bold revolutionary standing up to France; to critics, he is an autocrat tightening his grip on power. Since seizing control in 2022, Traoré has sidelined elections, reshaped alliances with Mali, Niger, and Russia, and pushed out Burkina Faso’s former colonial ruler, France. Yet, his promise to defeat terrorism remains unfulfilled as violence continues to ravage the country. Meanwhile, social media celebrates Traoré’s anti-Western stance and vision of pan-African sovereignty, portraying him as a modern-day Thomas Sankara. This comes amid crackdowns on dissent…
A new exhibition at the Apartheid Museum titled: ‘Grave Injustice: The Unfinished Business of the TRC’, will open to the public on 24 September and highlights the ongoing struggle for justice and reparations since the conclusion of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) in 2003. Curated by the Apartheid Museum in partnership with the Foundation for Human Rights, the exhibition sheds light on the enduring legacy of impunity and the urgent need for truth by sharing the powerful stories of the families and survivors who have led this decades-long fight for accountability. In January 2025, twenty-five families of apartheid-era victims filed a lawsuit against the South…
While much of the world is in 2025, Ethiopia is joyfully celebrating the start of its own year 2018. This unique calendar, seven years behind the Gregorian calendar, stems from an ancient calculation of the birth of Christ that differs from the way the rest of the world calculates it. The holiday, known as Enkutatash, fills […] From Wildlife to Waterfalls: The Best Things to Do in Malawi Malawi, often called the “Warm Heart of Africa,” is quickly becoming a must-visit destination for adventure seekers and nature lovers. The country, celebrated for its breathtaking scenic diversity and legendary friendliness, offers an experience that…
By Rédaction Africanews with AP A Moroccan court sentenced a prominent feminist activist to two and a half years in prison and $5,000 in fines for blasphemy in a case that has alarmed human rights groups and drawn widespread attention. The presiding judge ruled late Wednesday night that Ibtissam Lachgar was guilty of violating part of Morocco’s criminal code that outlaws offending the monarchy or Islam because of messages on a T-shirt she wore in a selfie posted online, her attorney Naïma El Guellaf told The Associated Press. Lachgar was charged with blasphemy and with disseminating the image online. One…
By Rédaction Africanews with AP As climate change continues to have a devastating impact across Africa, the United Nations warns that global temperatures will remain above average this year. Scientists at the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) say this is despite the fact that the cooling La Niña phenomenon may return between September and December. Conditions oscillate between La Niña and its opposite, El Niño, with neutral conditions in between. The WMO says that that after a brief spell of a weak La Niña, neutral conditions have persisted since March. “La Niña is the natural cooling of the tropical equatorial ocean…
By Rédaction Africanews United Nations peacekeeping missions are facing significant financial pressure, as United States budget cuts could limit their ability to protect civilians in countries like South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, a UN peacekeeping spokesperson said on Tuesday. US President Donald Trump last week unilaterally cancelled $4.9 billion in foreign aid already approved by Congress. This includes more than 800 million dollars dedicated to international peacekeeping operations. “Without sufficient resources, we will be doing less with less, with potentially serious implications for peace and security in contexts such as South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of…